St. Peter African Methodist Episcopal Church, one of Harrodsburg’s oldest congregations, started in 1839 in a modest frame structure built by its members on North Greenville at East Broadway. As enslaved persons weren’t allowed to own property, the title was held by the Trustees of the Methodist Church.
When a second church on East Broadway was condemned in 1917, the congregation purchased the Assembly Church on Poplar St., which had been vacant since the Presbyterian congregations reunited after separation during the Civil War.
At 4 AM on the Sunday of the first AME service, the church was destroyed by fire; bombing was suspected. The congregation purchased the property on Lexington Avenue at College Street in 1917 and, with church members providing much of the labor, built an impressive Classical Revival church which is still in use.
The building was designated a Kentucky Landmark in 1986.