Confederate Monument at Springhill Cemetery
529 N Greenville St, Harrodsburg, KY
The Confederate Monument of Harrodsburg is significant within the context of “Civil War Monuments in Kentucky, 1861-1935.” The United Confederate Veterans erected the monument in 1902. Though it was placed in a cemetery, it does not evoke mourning or sadness. Rather, it is defiant. The granite monument is approximately 20 feet tall and consists of two parts, a base and a statue of a confederate cavalryman. It is inscribed on two faces, and on steel plaques in the ground on all four sides of the monument are verses from the poem “Bivouac of the Dead “.