Harrodsburg Downtown Historic District
The Harrodsburg Commercial District, the core of the business section of Kentucky’s oldest town, comprises a noteworthy concentration of well-preserved late nineteenth century commercial architecture. According to tradition, Main Street evolved as the commercial center when a tavern was established on the northwest corner of Main and Lexington Streets, providing competition for an earlier tavern in Morgan Row. Harrodsburg experienced several fires between 1880 and 1890 but most Harrodsburg merchants quickly rebuilt their stores so that by the turn of the century, the present streetscape was well established. The nomination form gives descriptions of the “Blue Front” Building, Lawyers Row, “The Academy”, Oddfellows Lodge, City Hall, Vivion House, and Abel House among others. City history is also described.